Someone sent this to my brother, who sent it to me, and now I’m passing it along to you all:
Remembering the 70’s in Jamestown
You were a kid in the 70s in Jamestown, NY if you remember:
- There were 2 hospitals in town: WCA and General, and there were 2 movie theaters downtown that really showed movies: The Wintergarden and the Palace
- King Karl Gustaf of Sweden coming to town in 1976
- You went to Evans Skateland when it was in Celoron and were shocked when it burned down.
- Riding your bike on the bumpy brick streets and trying to avoid hitting holes left by missing bricks.
- You watched Rocketship 7 with Dave Thomas* with Promo the Robot every morning before school.
- You watched Commander Tom (Tom Jolls) and Dustmop the dog puppet every afternoon, and the Flintstones.
- You watched Davey and Goliath every Sunday morning – not because you really liked it but basically because you only got 4 channels and nothing else was on.
- You remember when they built Chautauqua Mall and everyone was upset because it would take business away from downtown Jamestown .
- You remember downtown: Carnahans, Bigelows then Argersingers, Grants, Murphys, and Hush Puppy Shoe Store, Beneficial Finance, Robert Hall clothes, Day’s Stationery, Shea’s Cleaners, Busty’s Shoe Repair, The Humidor, Arthur Treacher’s.
- You remember riding the elevator at Bigelow’s, the man or woman who manually stopped it on your floor, and opened the door for you with a crank and the cool payment system where the cashiers put your money into a vacuum tube and sucked it down to the mezzanine; then ladies made change and sent it through the tube back up to you.
- You remember going to pay bills with your parents at the old City Hall before they built the new one next door with the huge fountain.
- You remember eating out at Lums, The Red Barn and Colonial Whip
- You remember buying groceries at Loblaws, Super Duper, Bells and A&P.
- You shopped in Brooklyn square for shoes at Arcade Shoe Store (under the viaduct), and you ate at Sambo’s
- On Fairmount Ave. You remember Zayre before it became Walmart (and always had to say the letters as they blinked on: Z-A-Y-R-E), Jamesway, and the Red Coach
- Your parents took you shopping at Big N on Fluvanna Ave before it became Ames
- The Mall: York Steak House, National Record Mart, The Front Porch, the big fountain in the middle, Orange Julius, Woolworth, Quality Market with the bins and conveyor belt that took your groceries outside (and we all wanted to ride), Red Baron, Chess King, Wilson’s Leather, The County Seat, Hot Sam Pretzel, Blue Danube,
- The freaky huge Indian statue near the bridge all shot up with arrows
- The Midnight Brotherhood Motorcycle Club
- Marshall Dillons, then Generations, Mickey rats, Gatsby’s, The Big Tree, 2001, Top Hat, Pilly’s Harbor, The Stein, The Villa Capri, Jokers Wild, PDQ, The Chadakoin, The Bee Hive, The four O’Clock Club, Dugan’s, Melody Inn, The Muskie Lounge, The Roadhouse, The Other Side, Third Base Lounge, Trader Jack’s, The Ranch, The Swamp, The College Inn, The Inner Echo, Aardvarks $.10 wings and $.50 pitchers. Nuff said!
* Betcha didn’t know: Dave Thomas’ real name is David Robert Boreanaz and he is the father of David Boreanaz, TV Star (Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Bones).